Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Cranberry Vanilla Sorbet
Cranberry and Vanilla Bean sorbet
Makes 1 quart sorbet
calories: 220, fat: 1, fiber:2 g
a floral and tart sorbet, the vanilla bean mellows the flavour of the cranberries. Its also ruby red!
• 1 12-oz bag of cranberries (about 3 cups)
• 2-1/2 cups water
• 2 cups sugar
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
• ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1. Combine cranberries, 2-1/2 cups water, sugar and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean. Add bean to mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low; simmer until cranberries pop and are soft, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
2. Remove vanilla bean from cranberry mixture. Working in batches, puree cranberry mixture in blender. Strain into large bowl; discard solids. Stir in lemon juice. Refrigerate cranberry mixture until well-chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
3. Transfer cranberry mixture to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturers instructions. Transfer sorbet to container; cover and freeze.
Adapted from: Bon Appetit Magazine November 2009