This is not a traditional key lime pie. Instead, it takes the elements of one: the graham crust, the condensed milk, the limes, and adds white chocolate and cream cheese to make a super-creamy pie. This is a refreshing hybrid of classic cheesecake and key lime pie. this is really a no- bake cheesecake all dressed up. this is it's other benefit over the original-no baking. You wont need to touch an oven unless you make the crust as I did.
This pie has an incredibly light soft mousse-like texture. The white chocolate and cream cheese help the filling to firm up in the fridge. White chocolate plays well with fruits because its creaminess balances the acidity of the lime. It also adds a hint of vanilla and a velvety mouthfeel to the key lime mousse.
This is a great summertime dessert for those sweltering days when you need a dessert but can't bear to hover over a hot stove.
White Chocolate Key lime pie
Time: 30 minutes
Makes one 9-inch pie plus had some filling leftover.
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to #50 degrees f. In a small bowl stir together the graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Drizzle in the melted butter and stir with a fork until all crumbs are moistened.
- Pour moistened crumbs into a 9-inch pie plate and pat down, building up sides of pie-crust. Bake for 10-12 minutes in 350 degree oven or until golden.
- 1 package (8-oz) cream cheese, softened slightly
- 1 can (14-oz) sweetened condensed milk (about 1-1/3 cups)
- 3 oz white chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest (from about one lime)
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 8 limes depending on juiciness)
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk. Pulse until pureed and smooth. Add melted white chocolate, pulsing until smooth. Add lime juice and pulse again until smooth and creamy. Stir in lime zest.
- Spread lime mixture in cooled pie shell, smoothing top. Refrigerate pie for 3-4 hours or until firm.
- If desired, decorate with sweetened whipped cream and white chocolate curls.
Adapted from: 300 Best Chocolate Recipes by Julie Hasson