I was enticed into baking these cookies because i liked the zebra patterning on the outside of these cookies. This recipe was a hit with my sister who liked their high fashion exterior and sweet chocokate flavour.
The cookies get their distinctive appearance from powdered sugar. The unbaked cookie dough is actually rolled in sugar before going into the oven and as they cook the sugar forms a snowy crust that crackles as the cookies expands and bakes. The dark chocolate interiors offer a beautiful contrast to their pristine outer surface and hint at the chocolatey goodness within. The cookies taste lovely and give off little clouds of powdered sugar when you bite into them.
Prep time: 15 minutes total time: 3 hours 45 minutes Dairy
Makes: about 3 dozen cookies
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons, butter, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup powdered sugar
1. In a large bowl, mix granulated sugar, butter, vanilla, and chocolate with a spoon. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours( or put in the freezer for 15 minutes then refrigerate 1 hour.)
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees f. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls into a shallow dish filled with the powdered sugar; roll around to coat. Shape into balls. On cookie sheet, place balls about 2 inches apart. (The dough is easier o shape when it is cold so if it starts to loosen refrigerate for a few minutes. You may need to put the cookies back in the fridge for a few minutes before baking if it is a very hot day; This also helps the cookies keep a fuller round shape when they bake.)
3. Bake 10-12 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when touched. The cookies will look under-baked, but they firm up quite a bit as they cool. Immediately remove from baking sheet to wire rack; cool.
1 cookie = calories 60, (calories from fat: 20), Fat: 2g (saturated: 1g), Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 40mg, carbohydrate: 10g, Protein: 1g
From: Betty Crocker Baking for Today