Brown Sugar and Walnut Rugelach
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time 55 minutes plus chilling
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- In food processor, blend butter, cream cheese, granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla until well combined. Add flour, and pulse just until a dough forms. Divide dough in half; flatten into disks, and wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least two hours and up to 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months (thaw before baking).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, with racks set in upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In small bowl combine egg with 1 teaspoon water to make an egg wash.
- Working with one disk at a time, roll dough on lightly floured surface into an 11 inch circle about ¼ inch thick. Brush circles with egg wash; sprinkle with ½ cup of the walnuts, ¼ cup of the brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon of the cinnamon.
- Using sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut each circle into 16 equal triangles. Starting from the wide end, roll up each triangle of dough; place on baking sheets seam side down. Brush rolls with egg wash. Repeat with remaining dough and topping.
- Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Transfer rugelach to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted From: Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine, December 2007