Sunday, August 23, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


Rhubarb at the grocery store! For 1.99! I had to buy it. Fresh rhubarb is such a seasonal novelty that I have a slight obsession with it’s tart taste and it’s beautiful bright pink colour. I wanted a simple homey recipe to use with a lemony buttermilk ice cream because lemon and rhubarb complement each other well. I made a strawberry rhubarb crisp to use up some freezer burned strawberries that were hanging out in my freezer.
This was a made up recipe because I couldn’t find a “real” recipe anywhere that I liked. The only change I would make next time is to increase the flour to about ¼ cup because the strawberries let out a lot of syrup. But really that is just me being a perfectionist. A crisp isn’t meant to be fussy fare,. The important thing the flavour, and this recipe is definitely flavourful, the tart juicy filling and crispy oaty topping with the barest hint of cinnamon is pure comfort food.


Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Serves 8
Dairy
Time: about 45 minutes including baking time

• 3 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
• 3 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons (or more) all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Topping:
• ½ cup all-purpose flour
• ½ cup butter
• ¼ cup granulated sugar
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 cup old-fashioned oats
• pinch of salt

1. Toss together strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, flour and lemon juice together in a 2 quart baking dish or a 9-inch square pan.
2. Make topping: combine flour, sugars, cinnamon, oats and salt, and cut in butter either by hand or with a food processor until mixtures resembles pea sized clumps.
3. Sprinkle topping over strawberry-rhubarb mixture and bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes before serving. May be served hot or cold.

My own recipe

1 comment:

  1. I Love your display picture and banner! amazing!...oh and the recipe is good too!

    ReplyDelete